ANNOUNCEMENTS/CURBSIDE PICK UP/OTHER RESOURCES/WAYS TO CONTACT US
VOSE LIBRARY SUMMER READING PROGRAM JULY 1-AUGUST 5
Vose Library is excited to offer a Summer Reading Program for 2020 with Awesome Prize Incentives, Virtual Programming for Grades 1-3 and Grades 4-7, and Curbside Pick Up for Registration, Program Materials and Library books. Please call the Library to Register, 207-785-4733. Like us on Facebook to receive updates about this program and other Library News: Vose Library Union Maine.
NEW LIBRARY DIRECTOR, DEBRA LAY:
On July 1, Angie McKenna will step down as Vose Library Director and resume her role as Library Assistant. For Debra Lay, heading back to Maine as the Library Director for Vose Library in Union, Maine is not simply a career change, but a dream come true. A Newburyport, Massachusetts native, her work as a classroom teacher, school administrator, and online instructor for higher education extends over twenty-five years. She holds a Doctorate in Educational Leadership from the University of Phoenix.
Her husband Doug, is a retired middle school principal and their son Brett attends Maine Maritime Academy. Debra and Doug enjoy their two Yorkies; Summer and Cisco – who are also very excited about moving back to Maine.
From 2014-2017, while principal of a PreK-8th grade school in Jonesport, Maine, her love of literacy was re-inspired when she led a transformation of the Jonesport Elementary School library along with the financial help of a Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation grant. With both feet in, she pursued and earned her Masters in Library and Information Science from Simmons University in 2019; with the goal of working in a library. Simultaneously, a partnership with Island Readers & Writers blossomed and Debra now serves as president of that Board of Directors. With a deep belief that a public library should be the hub of its community, Debra is extremely excited to join the enthusiastic and invested – Team Vose.
Vose Library is Now Offering Curbside Pick Up—Follow the Instructions Below to Participate:
It has been a long haul navigating this new world we live in, and we have missed you so much! Thanks so much for returning your books to the Book Drop; each item goes through a 7-day quarantine process before being checked back into the Library, and your account will be updated once your items have gone through these safety measures. The Book Drop is now open for the return of ALL library materials—please carefully wrap all AV materials in a padded envelope or box to protect them from damage.
(PLEASE NOTE: Only items from Vose Library will be available; Interlibrary Loan services are not available at the present time.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ORDERING
1) If you have internet access, the best way to complete this process is to consult our collection catalog at https://mils.maine.edu; enter a title or key word and choose Vose Library in the pull-down menu to search. Enter your library card number to reserve each item.
For now, there is a limit of 5 items per library account.
2) You may also order by email at the following address: email@example.com. Please provide the title (author is also helpful for printed materials) and format (DVD, Audiobook, book) of the item you wish to borrow, your name and phone number.
3) Order by phone at 785-4733; you may leave a voice mail if we do not pick up. Please provide the title (author is also helpful for printed materials) and format (DVD, Audiobook, book) of the item(s) you wish to borrow, your name and phone number.
Due to limited hours, please allow a minimum of 24 hours to complete your request.
HOW DO I GET MY REQUESTED ITEMS?
1) After you have successfully ordered your item(s), TEAM VOSE will begin the process of fulfilling your request, checking your item(s) out to your library account, and then bagging and tagging your order for pick up.
2) We will email you (or we will call you if we do not have your email address) once your items are ready.
3) Available times to pick up your items:
Tuesday: 10:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:00pm
4) Please call from the parking lot when you arrive to pick up your items.
5) For safety reasons, please stay in your car. A masked-staff member will bring your bagged items to the outside entrance; once they have re-entered the building, you may exit your car to place your returns in the Book Drop and to gather your order.
6) Please refrain from loitering outside the building entrance, and please maintain the recommended 6′ social distance from staff and other patrons who may also be outside the building.
- HEALTH AND MEDICAL RESOURCES
Governor Mills Stay Healthy Home Mandate: https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/news/governor-mills-issues-stay-healthy-home-mandate-2020-03-31
- Maine CDC: https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/infectious-disease/epi/airborne/coronavirus.shtml
- United States CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html
- Maine CDC Daily Press Conference: https://livestream.com/
- Healthy Children: https://healthychildren.org
- Kids’ Health: https://kidshealth.org
- Good Shepard Food Bank of Maine: https://www.gsfb.org/get-help/food-map/
- FREE DOWNLOADABLE BOOKS & AUDIOBOOKS
- Maine Download Library: http://download.maineinfonet.org
- Audible for Students: stories.audible.com For as long as schools are closed, kids everywhere can instantly stream an incredible collection of stories, including titles across six different languages. All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet.
- STUDENT LEARNING RESOURCES
- Statewide Virtual Library Programs: https://maine-msl.libcal.com/calendar/pubevents/?cid=12840&t=d&d=0000-00-00&cal=12840&inc=0
- Science and Health: https://medlineplus.gov/childrenspage.html
- Digital Maine Library: Resources for teachers and young learners from kindergarten through college. https://library.digitalmaine.org/
- Museum/Zoos/etc.Tours for Families https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/travel/a31784720/best-virtual-tours/
- Virtual Coding Club for Kids with Vidcode (no charge during school closures): https://about.vidcode.com/virtual-coding-club
- CHILDREN’S STORY TIMES:
- Virtual Story Times with Authors: https://www.timeout.com/new-york-kids/news/virtual-storytimes-for-kids-authors-and-venues-go-online-amid-coronavirus-031620
- Lynn Plourde, Maine Children’s Author: https://www.lynnplourde.com/index.php/events
- American Ancestors: https://hubs.americanancestors.org/genealogy-getting-started-guide
- Ancestry Library: https://www.ancestrylibrary.com
WI-FI SERVICES DURING THE LIBRARY CLOSURE:
- Visit our Library to use our wifi from the parking lot during daylight hours:
The library is located at 392 Common Road in Union, Maine.
Get a map from Google or Bing.