VOSE LIBRARY: LIBRARY DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The Director is responsible for administration of all library functions within the goals, guidelines, and policies established by the Library Board of Directors. The Director serves as the official representative of the library and is expected to work closely with volunteers and the Board to meet the changing needs and interests of the community.
1. ATTRIBUTES AND QUALIFICATIONS
able to interact and work well with adults and children; interested in and knowledgeable about literature for adults, young adults and children, including familiarity with current award-winning books for adults and children; creative and flexible in developing children’s programs; reliable; enthusiastic; positive; creative; innovative; energetic; well organized; neat; cheerful and pleasant; and professional in every way.
• computer expertise and familiarity with computerized library systems
AND TWO OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
• professional librarian’s degree
• library experience
• college degree
A. RESPONSIBILITIES TO BOARD OF TRUSTEES:
i. attend all full Board meetings in an advisory capacity, and report on the previous month’s activity, including acquisitions and circulation figures.
ii. provide input to the Budget Committee in preparation of the annual budget for Board review.
iii. make and consider recommendations for book purchases, keeping in mind the interests and needs of our borrowers.
iv. work with any other committees as appropriate.
v. report library maintenance needs at monthly Board meetings.
vi. prepare/maintain possessions inventory for insurance purposes.
vii. prepare/maintain list of gifts in kind for purposes of IRS 990.
viii. prepare and submit annual reports to the town and state.
ix. work with the Board to grow the library by actively participating in outreach and fundraising activities.
B. RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAY TO DAY OPERATIONS:
i. conduct day to day activities of the library in the following areas:
• assist patrons at circulation desk.
• assist patrons with interlibrary loans.
• assist patrons with copier, computer, and/or internet use.
• notify patrons of overdue books and bill for overdue, lost or damaged materials.
• accession all books, audio books, and periodicals; maintain the catalog.
• keep appropriate circulation records.
• collect fines for deposit by Treasurer.
• maintain confidentiality of library records.
• regularly search for and identify new revenue sources.
• maintain records of petty cash transactions.
• encourage individuals to underwrite the cost of specific books and to purchase book memorials.
• ensure the facility is clean and presentable at all times, including trash removal, vacuuming, and dusting as needed.
• conduct tours of the library.
• create effective seasonal/theme displays using books and other materials.
• direct and train volunteers in typical day to day activities as appropriate.
ii. select and purchase all books, audio books, periodicals, and office supplies.
iii. weed book collection as needed.
iv. select, install and accession computer software.
v. maintain the computer system, library network, the library website and social media accounts.
vi. collect mail from Post Office and direct it to Board members’ attention as needed.
vii. perform other duties as necessary.
C. VOLUNTEER STAFF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
i. delegate as appropriate to volunteers.
ii. work with Volunteer Coordinator in recruitment and training of library volunteers.
iii. evaluate volunteer program annually by June 1st.
iv. evaluate Volunteer Coordinator job performance annually by August 1st.
D. OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES:
i. write grants based on assessment of library needs or at the suggestion of the Board or standing
ii. be responsible for the production of a newsletter at least three (3) times per year.
iii. promote public relations for all library events through website, social media, and press releases.
iv. as time permits, act as liaison between library and schools and between library and other libraries.
v. write, update and post emergency telephone number list.
vi. generate lists of new acquisitions.